Theme: Innovational methods of teaching in home reading lessons. The tale “King Midas”
- to provide an opportunity for students to evaluate their own knowledge
- to practice group decision-making skills, reporting and writing
- to practice predicting
- to give students guidance in ways of guessing the meaning of unknown words, using linguistic and contextual clues for free speaking practice, in the discussion
The procedure of the lesson:
I. Organizational moment
-Good afternoon, children. I’m glad to see you.
-How are you?
-Who is absent today?
-Ребята, дома вы прочитали сказку «Король Мидас». Скажите, пожалуйста, какова была цель его жизни? А какую цель перед собой мы ставим сегодня на уроке? Целью нашего урока является развитие умения принимать решения, как в группах так и индивидуально, умения предугадывать и выражать свои мысли и взгляды на английском языке, показать свои знания, умение их применить. Также у вас будет возможность самим оценить свои знания и знания своих друзей.
(Today we’ll work on the tale and practice group decision-making skills and reporting and also practice predicting. Remember, that you’ll evaluate your work yourselves.)
II. Can you tell me about the main characters of this tale, please?
Thank you, now, children, let’s start our work. Remember that each task can bring you points and take you higher and higher to the top.
Now you have to complete this table. You can get 0.2 points for each correct word.
god, to dress, suddenly, золотой, касаться/трогать, твердый, rich, превратить (-ся), считать, to wish ENGLISH RUSSIAN Points
to count 0.2
to turn 0.2
to touch 0.2
(ответы: 1 - считать; 2 – to dress; 3 - to wish; 4 - золотой; 5 - suddenly; 6 - твердый; 7 – rich; 8 – превратить (-ся); 9 – касаться, трогать; 10 - god)
Next tasks check your reading comprehension. This task you will do in 3 groups. You’ll get 1 point for each correct answer
Group A True or False?
You’ll get 0.5 points for each correct answer (2 p)
1. Midas was a poor king. (F)
2. His daughter’s name was Nancy. (F)
3. Mercury turned everything to gold. (T)
4. Marygold loved her father. (T)
Complete the sentences with one of the given verbs: cry, give, sleep, turned. But remember, that one of the verbs will not be used in this exercise. You’ll get 1 point for each correct answer (3 p)
1. Everything he touched __________ to gold.
2. Marygold saw the golden roses and began to ______.
3. “Give me my daughter, and I shall ______ you all my gold,” said the king.
(ответы: 1 – turned; 3 - cry; 4 – give)
If you can find correctly who said this you’ll have 1 point for each sentence (4 p).
1) “Who are you?”
2) “I have not so much as I wish.”
3) “I don’t like them.”
4) “My roses are all hard.”
For each correct answer in these tasks you can get 0.5 points.
a) Please, put the words in the sentence in the correct order.
1. gold/he counted/his/every day.
2. became gold/began to dress/when/his clothes/the king.
3. King Midas/the richest princess/wished/to make Marygold.
4. and water/the bread/became/gold.
5. to play with her/kissed Marygold/and went/in the garden/king Midas.
6. king’s room/a man came/one day/into the
1. He counted his gold every day.
2. When the king began to dress his clothes became gold.
3. King Midas wished to make Marygold the richest princess.
4. The bread and water became gold.
5. King Midas kissed Marygold and went to play with her in the garden.
6. One day a man came into the king’s room.
b) Finish the sentences
1. Midas had more gold than anyone but he _______________.
2. The chairs, the tables, everything he touched ____________.
3. Mercury said: “Wait for the morning and you will have the ___________.”
4. Marygold began to cry: “My roses, my roses! They are __________!”
5. Marygold saw that the king looked unhappy and ________________.
6. She was no longer a little girl but a golden ________.
1.was not happy 2. turned to gold
3. golden touch 4. hard
5. kissed him 6. doll
Group work. For the following tasks you can get 8 points (2 points for each answer)
What would you do if you were the king?
What would you do if you were Marygold?
What would you do if you were Mercury?
What would you do if you were there?
Everyone in your group have to choose a title and tell us if it could be a title for this tale or not.
The mean king
The golden touch
The golden doll
The sun and flowers
Now you have to finish the story in 3 groups
Group 1. Complete the sentences with the names of the characters. (8 points)
“Oh, give me my little girl,” said _______, “and I shall give you all the gold I have.”
“Well,” said ______, “let it be a lesson to you. I take the golden touch back”
_______ kissed _________ and went to play with her in the garden. And they became happy again.
Group 2. Finish the tale using the given words (10 points)
“Give me my little girl”, “let it be a lesson to you”, take the golden touch back, went to play in the garden, “I’ll give you all the gold”, kissed his daughter, became happy again, said the king, answered Mercury
Group 3. Finish the tale by yourself (12 points)
Well, children, it’s time to count our scores and see how high are you.
If you have from 2 to 12 points – you get “3”
If you have from 13 to 20 points – you get “4”
If you have from 21 to 42 points – you get “5”
Ребята, посмотрите на короля. Что произошло с его золотом? “It will be a lesson for you,” как сказал бы бог Меркурий. Какой урок можно извлечь из этой сказки?
Pupils share their opinion about this lesson